Abby is 20 months old today!!! I can't believe she's only 4 months away from turning two! I feel like we just celebrated her first birthday party!
I think I forgot to make a 19 month post in January, so I'll update her "stats" for the past two months. She is now back in her crib and it was one of the best decisions we've made. She slept fine in her big girl bed, but getting her to sleep was such a challenge - she was going through terrible separation anxiety, so it was bad timing on our part for setting up the bed. Once she fell asleep she slept straight through the night, but we had to sit there and rub her back for 45+ minutes and if she heard us getting up to leave, we had to start all over again. We put the side of the crib back up and she had one night of crying for 2+ hours and the next night she went right down without a fuss. Now she's at the point where we tell her "ok Abby, it's time for bed" and she said "ok, good night! Love you!" and she lays down in her crib and falls asleep. And she'll sleep for 12 hours (7 PM to 7 AM). Can't get much better than that (well, unless she decided to sleep til 10, but that's never going to happen!)
Her language skills continue to amaze us and everyone around us. Her teachers have commented that they haven't seen a child her age speak so well and so clearly - she has an enormous vocabulary, she speaks in full sentences and understands abstract concepts. She can count to 10 in Spanish and 15 in English, and she knows all her colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, black, white, brown and gray) as well as several shapes (heart, star, triangle, circle, square, moon, diamond). The only thing she doesn't quite grasp yet is me/you/my/yours, etc. She'll say "that's Abby's dolly!" and I'll say "oh, you mean it's your dolly?" and she says "no, it's ABBY'S!!! NO SHARING!". Oh, and we still have to work on sharing, too.
Her hair is finally long enough for little ponytails, and she patiently sits still while I do her hair. When I get one side done, she immediately asks for the other side to be done, and she even sits still while I then have to go back and redo the ponytails to make them even (which is almost every time...). She can put on her own pants, socks and shoes (with a little help), and she loves picking out which color diaper to wear. Speaking of diapers, we've taken a little break from potty training. We never really got into it, but we're not making her sit on the potty unless she asks to do so. She's getting good at telling us when she poops, and she peed in the toilet once when I caught her doing it on the floor before a shower and I was quick enough to get her on the pot for the last few drops. That's the most success we've had so far. I'm going to wait a few more months until she can make it through the night dry, and we'll start thinking about getting more consistent with the potty again.
She now loves Special Agent Oso, possibly more than Dora and Mickey. She's also started watching classic Mickey cartoons on YouTube with Ben! She's also getting into Winnie the Pooh. She loves her Bert puppet, but isn't a huge fan of Sesame Street. She's still into playing with toy cars, but is even more in love with her doll house and all her babies. She loves cooking and serving pretend food to her dolls and friends. She loves to sing, especially "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", "You Are My Sunshine", "Backpack, Backpack" (from Dora the Explorer), the "Hello Song" (from school), "Daisy, Daisy" and she can sing most of her ABCs.
Her favorite foods are cheese, black beans, grapes and strawberries, chicken, macaroni and cheese, broccoli cheddar soup, bagels, bananas, peas, corn, broccoli, pineapple, banana bread (which she calls "Ruthie Bread" since she first tried it at Great-Grandma Ruth's house) and fries (both regular and sweet potato). She does not like carrots and any time she gets a vegetable in her mouth that she doesn't like (green beans, onions and tomato, mostly), she angrily says "NO CARROTS!" and she spits it out. She's recently mastered a spoon/fork and easily eats anything small enough to scoop up (pasta, cereal, beans, corn, soup, etc). She's also started drinking more milk, which is good.
I think that's about it! I don't have any of her height/weight stats, but she's been eating a lot lately so I hope that means she's growing!!! She still fits into 12-18 month clothes, but they're getting a bit short on her. The 18-24 month clothes fit her lengthwise and will stay up only if she has on a cloth diaper. Some 18 month pants will fall down if she's in a disposable. Thank God for cloth diapers, because I don't know what she'd wear otherwise!!!
So that's about it update-wise. She's a funny kid and has a great sense of humor, and she makes us laugh every day!


No comments:
Post a Comment